Re: read only nfs root and var

On Sunday 18 January 2009 21:21, Andrew Reid wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2009 17:30, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > I'm trying to setup a server that export root over a read only nfs file
> > system. I managed to enable local settings for each machine by mounting
> > it's own disk and then linking some files from etc.

>   It's provided by a kernel module, but the modules are packaged
> for Debian "etch", and I think the functionality is included in
> the kernel source itself for 2.6.24 (etchnhalf) and 2.6.26 (lenny),
> but I'm not 100% sure of that -- the machines I do this for
> are still vanilla "etch", so as I say, I'm not sure of the
> etchnhalf or lenny status.

  OK, replying to myself here, I just had a quick look
around, and it seems that lenny has migrated to "aufs", which
is an alternate implementation of "stackable" filesystems, but
as far as I can tell, stackable file-system functionality
is not packaged in etchnhalf -- is that right, or am I
missing something?
  Neither aufs nor unionfs are built by the source package
linux-modules-extra-2.6-etchnhalf, and the user-space versions
(unionfs-fuse, and/or funionfs) only appear in lenny and sid.

  So, let me pass this on -- anyone know how to do unionfs
in etchnhalf?

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net