Re: Motherboard drivers?

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:26:13 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/18 Frank Lanitz <frank@frank.uvena.de>:
> > In most cases not, but this is depending on your board. If there is
> > a S-ATA/RAID controller onboard which doesn't have any suitable
> > driver inside Linux kernel, you might need a driver CD.
> >

> I see, thanks. So it is a matter of works | not works as opposed to
> works | works better.

Well, in some cases there is just no big difference between the free
drivers and maybe closed source drivers. In other cases you just don't
have a choice because of hardware vendors only provide closed source
drivers (you may remember Nvidia's and ATI's graphic card drivers in
past). So here in such cases it is really a matter of it works or not
works at all.

Regards,
Frank
--