Bad blocks and powernowd

Hello everyone,

The hard disk of my 4-year-old laptop is starting to fail. I ran
fsck.ext3 -c on my root partition yesterday and a few blocks were
marked as damaged. The blocks contained some XFCE4 theme files, so I
thought that reinstalling the relevant package should be enough. Now,
however, the machine hangs every time I start powernowd. Kernel
emergency key presses (Alt+SysRq+?) don't work and the usual log files
don't contain any relevant information. I have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling the powernowd package, but it didn't help; note also that
fsck did not signal any damaged files belonging to powernowd.

Can anyone help me sort this out? Could it be that fsck -c did not
mark some blocks as damaged because I ran it with the root partition
mounted read-only (as opposed to unmounted)?

Thanks in advance for the attention!

Davide