Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:14:03PM EST, Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:30:32 -0500
> Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I could have bought a 500GB "portable" external USB drive for c. $100.00 ..
> > possibly less .. opened the case and provided the actual drive was the right
> > form factor, had holes in the right places so I could secure it to my laptop's
> > HDD caddy .. and had an IDE connector/interface.. I would have paid my
> > Gigabytes at a considerably cheaper rate.. and would be a much happier man,
> > since my 60GB's are already.. gone.
>
> I may be mistaken, but I think that the 500GB drives at the price point
> you mention are generally 3.5 inch drives, and that laptop (2.5 inch)
> drives cost more per GB.

That's what I meant by the "provided"... enumeration above... My uneducated
guess is that the so-called portable external USB drives use the same laptop
format .. but then you can't tell a book by the cover .. ??

Saw a cheap one from LaCie for ninety dollars and change on amazon..

In any case .. even if you buy one at that price and the form factor is not
what fits into your laptop .. or the screws are in the wrong places .. or it's
SATA not IDE inside .. the worse that can happen is that you are stuck with
500GB's of HDD space that you can still use "externally" .. at the much slower
USB 1.1 transfer rate .. but good enough for "archives" .. backups .. docs ..