Re: GNU info documents ? How?

On Thursday 2009 January 15 16:06:40 Paul E Condon wrote:
>I know that there is some Gnu nonsense about the license on
>info documents the keeps them from bein part of debian main,
>but how can I gain access to them as an individual user?
>
>Is there a package in non-free or contrib ? What is it's
>name? Are they available on the web? What URL?

You seem to be conflagrating a number of facts:
(1) The GNU project likes to use the texinfo format for their documentation.
(2) The GNU project likes to use the GFDL license for their documentation.
(3) Debian considers the GFDL not DFSG-free.
(4) Because of (3), anything licensed under the GFDL cannot go into main or
contrib.  It may go into non-free, under certain conditions.
(5) Because of (4) and (2), much of the documentation for the GNU project is
available from non-free.
(6) Because of (5) and (1), texinfo might appear to be "non-free", but that is
not the case.

Elaborating:
texinfo format files can be in any section.
GFDL licensed files can be in non-free.
Documentation is generally put into $srcpkgname-doc package.
Debian does put the documentation it prepares on the web, but it is not in
texinfo format.

>Is there any difference between info and texinfo? What?

texinfo is the format; info is the command-line reader.  The info software is
available in main.

>Is there a document giving information about how to deal
>with this problem for the ordinary user? What URL?

I'm not sure exactly what "this problem" is.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))