Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

On Wed January 14 2009, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > I would agree.. I use a $100 500Gb Mybook external as 1-part of my backup
> > scheme. I use rsync and back up my desktop AND my laptop to the external
> > HD. easy to specify folders and use a file for exceptions.
>
> IMO, this is an inadequate strategy. Backup media need to be
> stored off-site. Certainly, your external drive needs to remain
> unplugged from the power and the computer, at least, for
> most of the time. Otherwise the same lightning strike which
> takes out your main disc could also clobber your "backup".

I only plug it in to do backups. The rest of the time it is unplugged and away
from the regualr PC. I have an UPS and 2 surge protectors between all my PC
stuff and any electrical outlet. This IS a home system, and I don't really
have access to an off-site storage facility..
I do rsync daily to a 2nd internal HD, regualt backups to the Mybook external,
and I also burn DVDs of things that are critical ( to me).
I live in Georgia ( USA, north of Florida) and I have a UPS on my computer
stuff, and another one on my TV/stereo/Satellite setup.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800