Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Richard Hector wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 15:05 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
Paul Cartwright wrote:
I would agree.. I use a $100 500Gb Mybook external as 1-part of my backup scheme. I use rsync and back up my desktop AND my laptop to the external HD. easy to specify folders and use a file for exceptions.
IMO, this is an inadequate strategy. Backup media need to be
stored off-site. Certainly, your external drive needs to remain
unplugged from the power and the computer, at least, for
most of the time. Otherwise the same lightning strike which
takes out your main disc could also clobber your "backup".

That's obviously true in an ideal sense. But even the local external
disk (or even internal disk) is vastly superior to having none at
all ...

It's just true in all senses.

I don't disagree that having a second copy is better than none.
However, using a second copy directly connected to the main
machine on the same site does not satisfy my definition of "backup".

As in all things, everyone has his own criteria. Also, there is
always the trade off between security and cost. However, my
minimal criteria are

(1) Off site storage; if my house burns down, then my data are
still safe (my backup is 13 miles from my house, so an atom bomb
will probably destroy all copies)

(2) Non volatile storage

(3) At least three copies rotated

(4) Verified (once) by rebuilding the system from scratch using wiped
hardware.

Any alternate storage scheme has to be evaluated based on one's
own criteria. I'm merely trying to get people to think about
what their criteria really are. If a lightning strike wiping
out all copies of your data is acceptable to you, then I'm not
going to argue or criticize.

For me, monthly backup to DVDs with weekly incrementals to CDs
with off site storage works, and is cheap both in time and
money. I keep the most recent copy on my hard drive (in case
of accidental erasure) as well as off site.

Which reminds me, it's time for my monthly :-)

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.