Re: AMD Turion ZM82: freeze with 2 cores, works with 1 core (maxcpus=1)

Mitchell Laks schrieb:
On 11:28 Sun 11 Jan , Adrian Levi wrote:
2009/1/11 Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu>:

I would try to explore the idea that the CPU or motherboard is defective. Perhaps the second core is bad.

I had a problem with memory sticks that was similar. One stick worked and not two. I first found that there was a bad memory stick ( 1 out of 2). then after replacing it, it happened again and it needed a bios upgrade of the motherboard to work. I used memtest96+ to diagnose my problems.

Perhaps you can find a testing software for the dual core cpu from your cpu or motherboard vendor....

Mitchell
UBCD has numerous cpu testing programs on it, perhaps one of those?

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Adrian

I have reconsidered the issue.

I would approach your problem in a systematic way. You have some data.

CPU seems to lock up with dual core set up. You find it with Debian install, but not with Windows. Bah I don't believe that.
Yes it' s true, Windows runs on this machine with 2 cores without any lockups or bluescreens, but it's slower nevertheless ;-) BTW, ASUS hardware seems to be a bit strange anyway. They even built a limited Linux into the BIOS for faster startup (for surfing the net and such), but they didn't even manage to run it at the LCD's native resolution (which Debian does out of the box). If they have a console there I could look whether it recognizes the second core.
Check using live CD: knoppix or finnix or some other ones. After booting try some tests.

Make sure to do Mem86+ test for the ram and make sure your ram is good. Very often RAM is bad and can be confusing.
you need to systematically test this stuff.

Look at this Great Article:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-hw1/
Linux hardware stability guide, Part 1
CPU and memory troubleshooting
Daniel Robbins (drobbins@gentoo.org), President/CEO, Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
Thank you Mitchell. I will try these tests and report back, though it may take some time until I get to that.

Patrick