Re: destroying one's account, the easy way?

Hello Todd!

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:22:39 -0800
"Todd A. Jacobs" <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 07:56:56PM +0100, Florian Mickler wrote:
>
> > somehow she has  succeeded in moving her complete homefolder
> > (.*-files included) into  subfolders of her homefolder...  i don't
> > know how that can happen, but apparently there are no safeguards in
> > place. (Or at
>
> Nor should there be. If you remove write access to your own files or
> directories, then you can't write to them. The cure is worse than the
> disease. QED.
>
> > Is there a way to shield her from doing smth like that again? What
> > are
>
> Educate her? Tell her not to move Desktop, Documents, or dot-files?
> Unset "show hidden files" or its equivalent in whatever file manager
> she's using?
>
> Ultimately, you can't *stop* a user from "rm -rf ~" on writable media
> if they're so inclined. Even if you did something like a writable
> unionfs mount over a read-only user directory (knoppix, anyone?)
> you'd just be making changes (both good and bad ones) temporary. This
> will *not* result in a usable desktop, unless you're trying to have
> someone run in a kiosk mode where no files, bookmarks, or
> configuration changes are possible.

Well, the point is, my mom didn't _want_ to move her homefolder away.
But she somehow got confused in the konqueror-window or dropped the
mouse-click at the wrong position. or didn't hit the right pixel at the
beginning, or whatnot...

And of course we are not speaking of kiosk-mode.

This is about creating an computing environment in which
''older''(she's not _that_ old!) beginners can feel at ease, without
having fear of destroying something. or which confuses them.

Of course it is the normal way of learning to screw up, but it
shouldn't be so easy, methinks...

Sincerely,
Florian