Re: Question about LVM and volume images on loop

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 06:08:05PM -0800, Jeff D wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > I want to allocate several large blank files on HD,
> > and make them into virtual hard disk which I mount
> > using loop.
> >
> > I then want to treat them as 'physical volumes' under
> > LVM, and collect them into a single volume group.
> >
> > Then, I intend to define a few larger logical volumes
> > on this 'volume group'. I do this because I want to
> > store large files on a HD whose hardware interface
> > limits file sizes to 4Gb, and I want to store larger
> > files than 4Gb. ( The HD has 500Gb total capacity.)
>
> Maybe I'm missing something here, but how is the hardware interface
> stopping you from writing files larger than 4G?  That's just something I
> haven't ran into.  How is the drive formatted now?  Can't you just format
> the drive with ext3 or something else that supports large files? I don't
> think that LVM is going to solve your problem here though.

Yes, it's not hardware. Truth is it's vfat. I have had difficulty with
Western Digital USB HD when I try to reformat tham for ext3, and they
special software from WD to rewrite the vfat format. A software overlay
seemed a good way to go. I'm still hoping.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net