Re: destroying one's account, the easy way?

HI,

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 07:56:56PM +0100, Florian Mickler wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Last week my mother (supplied by me with a debian-testing system,
> running kde) did call me with fear in hear voice: "the computer isn't
> working anymore! and all my files are lost! and my emails! and the
> internet has vanished!"

> What are the big Do's and Don'ts if you setup a linux desktop for
> senior beginners?

There is no easy way to teach user not to destroy system.  What ever
safegurd you place, they will outsmart you and erase files they are
suppose not to.

The only safegurd is BACKUP!  For KDE, there is keep package to back up.
As long as you make backup files to non-erasable location by your client
user, you will be safe.

I can think of remote backup to your server.  If that is too much, back up
to root directory only accessible by root is alternative.

If you want to save file size, use differential back up.
 1. backup her home directory to /root/backup-hers (700)
 2. using git to make history with date as tag.

If these are done every time she boot or by cron, she can regain data
when ever she asks you. (Does keep do this?)

You may also look for rdiff-backup which looks interesing.

Basically any backup solution will do the job as long as you keep them
in safe location.

See

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/debian-reference.en.html#backupandrecovery

Osamu