Re: Startup scripts of Debian Lenny don't perform file system check while on battery power

On 01/13/09 04:40, elektra wrote:
[snip]

I think the reason is that the startup scripts of the Lenny version I was running (installed with the netinstall cd in June or July on a Asus EEE PC 901 and frequently updated until it broke on Dezember 23rd 2008) omits the file system check if it detects a mobile system running on battery.

The startup scripts issue a warning of the kind "Warning! Skipping file system check because the system is running on battery power" - I don't know the exact wording - so the sysadmin has to perform the check manually after boot-up to avoid data loss...

It's been like that for ages, since a full fsck takes a long time, which would drain the batteries.

over again without a file system check! Checking a interrupted ext3 mount is a matter of seconds so where is the point in skipping the check?

That's just a load of garbage.  e2fsck can take a *long* time.

[snip]

I like Debian and I'm surely going to use it again somewhere some day. And I'm sorry that I didn't write this email earlier - but I was busy and I was pissed. I'm running Slackware 12.2 now on the 901. It is not comfortable but it doesn't break because of an update and I can trust the people writing the startup scripts.

Blah blah blah.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA