Re: Question: Power Button Shutdown

On Monday 12 January 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/12/09 13:45, Chris wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I found a description on how to to shut down my system after pushing the
> > power button (below).  I need this for a headless system.  The system is
> > running Debian-Lenny, and it used to work before a dist-upgrade quite a
> > while back. I only found out it was working by accident, because it does
> > not seem to work on other Debian machines I have.
> >
> > I was just wondering if this is set up normally on a Debian install, and
> > if yes what may have stopped it from working.  If all else fails I'll try
> > the method described below, but I'd rather just fix what was working
> > before.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Shutting_system_down_by_pressing_the_
> >power_button
>
> [snip]
>
> > From now on, pressing the power button (lightly, not for a few seconds)
> > should properly shutdown the system. Note that if you have hibernate
> > configured and working you may want to change the last line with:
>
> What is your BIOS power button configuration?  (Mine is "immediate
> shutdown", probably because I think that Power means *power*, not
> *hibernate*.)

Honestly I don't know and it would be too much trouble to find out - the
system is headless and I can't look a the BIOS settings.  I never have
changed anything in the BIOS settings on this computer though, so I'm not
sure that can explain it not working any more.

When I push the power button it does end up showing the KDE log-off dialog
with the normal options though - maybe something changed in KDE.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

C. Hurschler