Re: Help with u tube video streaming

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 02:39:47 -0600, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> On 01/12/09 02:03, Howard Eisenberger wrote:

>>> True.  But IIRC, the mp4 files are smaller.
>>
>> It is my understanding that clive does not convert .flv to .mp4,
>> but downloads the higher resolution .mp4 directly from Youtube
>> if that format exists. "clive -L" will download the lower res
>> .flv.
>
> That must be new, because I thought it took it's instructions from it's
> rc file.  But mine is 19 months old, and clive has been upgraded and
> rewritten since then...

Also, I don't think that 19 months ago, YouTube offered the alternative
link to "watch in high quality" where such a version exists.

By appending "&fmt=18" to the URL of a YouTube movie, it can be made to
open initially in this higher quality mode and perhaps this is what
clive is doing.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.