Re: Labeling backup DVD+RW's

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> Is there an altogether better/smarter/reliabl-er solution?
>
> IMHO, the smartest, fastest, most reliable and cheapest solution is to
> use external hard disks like usb-disks. You could reuse the same disk

I agree with this. I have tackled the problem of backups for two main
purposes: my /home and family photos archive.

Currently, I backup my /home to a partition on a second hard disk in my
desktop. The photos are mounted on a different desktop in a partition on
a hard disk which is shared via samba so that anyone on my home lan can
view them. That partition is backed up on to an external USB hard disk
connected to the desktop's USB port.

When I first started to think about doing backups, I asked here and
thought about DVDs and CDs. In the end, using another hard disk turned
out to be much more convenient, systematic and reliable.

I strongly suggest you look for a hard disk to backup your data on.

> I've read quite a few tests that showed that DVDs and CDs are not very
> reliable as backup media. It gets worse if they get reused, because
> their performance degrades on subsequent burn cycles.

Yup. Plus, for long lasting data (e.g. photos), there may be data loss
after a few years.

ever having been read.