nfssvc: Setting version failed

Since end of November I experienced problems with my nfs server: It failed to
respond to mount requests, and clients reported that it was down. In the
daemon log I find this error message during startup: 'nfsd[XXXX]: nfssvc:
Setting version failed: errno 16 (Device or resource busy)'. In a message on
debian-user of Jan. 2007 it is said that this is due to another set of
nfs-kernel-servers being started. I found that I had a startup file for
nfs-user-server, /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server, while the package had been
removed. Purging the package nfs-user-server, thereby removing the left-over
startup file, solved the problem, and my nfs server is responding to mount
requests again.

I run the testing distribution. I suppose that the package nfs-user-server
was automatically removed during an upgrade at the end of November because
no packages depended on it any more. Apparently, the left-over startup file
did not do proper checking, did start up and caused a problem.

My problem is now solved. I am reporting it here so that others can read
this. I suppose I cannot file a bug against an obsolete package.

Regards, Simon

Simon Pepping