kernel module i8k.ko - laptop fan control - help needed!

Hi,

The module i8k.ko provides access to certain BIOS functions such as fan speed on certain Dell laptops including Inspirons and Lattitudes.

Does anyone know whether this module and the associated packages such as i8kutils are maintained at present?

I have a testing issue in Debian lenny amd64. I wanted the maintainer (Massimo Dal Zotto) to know about this. However, he hasn't responded to my email.

The issue is that i8k.ko doesn't seem to be able to control the fan on my Inspiron 1525 at all. Although, the module loads okay and is able to get some data from the BIOS, for example:

/proc/i8k:
1.0 A13 7P1R04J 43 0 0 0 0 -1 -22

Some time earlier I tried to use dellfand with a similar result: it read parameters from the BIOS but did not wrote to it.

I wonder whether there could be some dependencies, e.g. acpi modules, that prevent i8k.ko from writing to the BIOS.

Please tell me if you know about any exploits for the fan of Inspiron 1525.

Regards,
Vladimir