Re: upgrading old-stable

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:33:15 +0100
roberto <roberto03@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello,
> i'd like to ask you the time until it will be possible to upgrade from
> debian sarge to the actual debian stable (etch)

I did that upgrade few months ago on my desktop system.
It worked without major problems. But,  aptitude got automatically removed when
I had to install x11-common and xlibmesa-glu. I don't real remember why I had do it but aptitude got removed and I didn't see it because the list of removed packages was too long...

I copied the aptitude and one lib packages from my firewall systems(etch) and used dpkg to get them installed.
After that the upgrade went smoothly, as expected by a debian system.

Cheers,
Pavlos