Re: Debian AMD64

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
>
> Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?

A lot of the amd64 nerds out there are busy installing 32-bit
chroot environments to run software the doesn't run under
amd64.

I got a Toshiba amd64 laptop, and first installed amd64.
Turns out a particular perl module my application depends on
doesn't compile, and i haven't figured out how to fix it.

It looks liek this to me: If you want to go amd64, you
should do a parallel i386 installation so that if
amd64 doesn't work for something, you can test if the
problem is amd64, or if it's something else.

And if you're going to have to maintain two environments,
why not just maintain one?

Of course, I want to do fast multimedia processing, which
the amd64 excels at, but in actual fact, my amd64 debian
installation is languishing, and I do my day-to-day stuff
under i386.

Wishing you good luck (and running software)

Joel