Re: Debian AMD64

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 10:56:52 -0200
Samir Cury <rimasy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to use it on my desktop AMD64 a year ago, and i had some problems
> with software installing, maybe it does exists but sometimes is harder to
> find, in the end you gain speed, but spend more time making your system as
> you want.

Most packages work now with amd64 (although not all). skype requires using the
static build. There is an open java plugin that works, sun said that they will
release on soon. Except for a few codecs most other things work.

What you gain is the ability to use more than 2gb installed memory (you can
just install the amd64 kernel and use 32bit userspace and then single programs
can't use more than 2gb memory each but the system can as a whole)

the downside is that programs use more memory (about 30% if I recall correctly).

Unlike popular belief most programs don't see a speed increase. The only ones
that may benefit are memory intensive mathematical programs.