Re: Debian AMD64

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 15:07 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 08:40:48PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> > I just got my Compaq laptop CQ40-115AU and I want to install Lenny
> > AMD64. What's the different if I use AMD64 instead of i386. My main
> > use of laptop is for word processing and virtualization.
> >
> > Can any of AMD64 user share their experience or perhaps a bit of advice?
>
> Points of difficulty can be:
>
> 1. Third party software that is not available.  In my case I have to
> run at least one i386-system to handle my scanner because the scanner
> software from epkowa is not available for the 64-bit environment.
> Skype and Googleearth are other examples.  This problem can at least
> in the case of Skype and Googleearth be solved by installing the
> ia32-libraries.
>
> 2. Up till recently flash was also a problem but there is now a 64-bit
> version of Adobe's flashplugin available.
>
> I don't know what you are using for word processing.  I use LaTeX.
> Tools like Openoffice, Abiword ek Koffice works well on 64 bit.
>
> For virtualization I use a 64-version of Sun's VirtualBox. Debian
> packages are available.  On our servers (also 64-bit) we use Debian's
> Xen without problems.
>
> I recently got a new Lenovo Thinkpad R61i and started out with Lenny
> 64-bit.  However, I had several problems (like losing my network
> connections intermittently) and in the end installed
> Ubuntu Hardy amd64 and it had less problems - maybe because Ubuntu
> uses drivers of which the license is not allowed in debian.
>
> Regards
> Johann
> --
> Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036
> Informasietegnologie, Universiteit van Stellenbosch
>
>      "Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the
>       children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy
>       neighbour as thyself. I am the LORD."
>                                  Leviticus 19:18

 Personally I am using 64 and have really had no problems at all. All
the software i needed was readily available. I have had no hiccups or
serious problems at all. And this may be trivial but rebuilding debs for
64 if you absolutely need them really is easier than one might think. If
you have a 64 you might as well use 64. I am using debian lenny if that
makes any difference to you. Hope it all goes well for you, and good
luck.
--
LostSon

http://lostsonsvault.org