Re: my new Inspiron - WAS: OT: laptop recomendations

Sorry, sent off list by mistake.

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 22:29:36 +0100
Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> Hi to Everyone,
>
> I've received my new DELL Inspiron 1525... It surely takes some time to
> get used to such a difference, whatever you speak of the overall size,
> the keyboard, Ubuntu... and, above all, the touchpad, which I find
> absolutely horrible. I thought I could just plug any spare mouse, but I

Sorry to hear that.

> now realize that it has to be an USB mouse... didn't even know about
> these, this is to say how old is my equipment :)
>
> Do you think that just any usb mouse will do the job, or have I better
> ordering a specific DELL mouse ?

You can plug in any usb mouse you want. It's been some time since laptops came
with a ps2 port. You can get a usb to ps/2 adaptor if you want but a usb mouse
is probably cheaper.

> I can't keep using that touchpad. The plate is not hard enough, and the
> course of your pointer does vary depending of how light or heavy is the
> touch ; most times it appears difficult to go from one screen end to the
> other. Doing this, if your pointer stays more that a few tenth of a
> second on a live word, it will carry you there, even without any button
> pressing. On my old thinkpad, there was a red button in the midst of the
> keyboard, and it was just wonderful, compared to that failure...

The trackpoint I believe it's called only exists on top end dells (latitudes)
and thinkpads (t series, not sure if the new t500 and t400 still have it)

You should try to play with the touchpad settings. It's probably and alps on
that machine so it's a bit more limited than the synaptic touchpad but are
still configurable.

Have a look at gsynaptic (graphic) or synclient (command line, included in the
synaptic x driver package) to play with the settings.
You can change speed, acceleration, sensitivity and whether tapping the
touchpad works as a button press.

> To the Ubuntu GNOME desktop, I have to get used to, at least for some
> time, since I am planning to install Debian Lenny instead, as soon as
> possible, but not before I have checked that everything worked "as is",
> especially WiFi.
>
> For I have not been able to get WiFi working so far !

Check what wifi card you have installed (lspci possibly with -vv to get more
verbose output) and we can probably help more.