Re: New to Linux

On Monday 05 January 2009 14:20:16 Martin, Larry D wrote:
> I have downloaded the Debian 40r5 for S390 and have it on CD.
>

> When I load the CD into the HMC (zSeries z9BC) and try to do the "Load
> from CD/DVD" operation I get:
>
> ""An error has occurred while trying to obtain a list of the software
> that can be loaded."
>

> I am not sure if this is an HMC or a Debian message.  It has a message
> number of ACT36201 but I cannot find a reference to that message.
>

> Does anyone have an idea what I have done wrong?

This is purely a guess...

It sounds to me as if you were trying to load the software into your computer
as you would a Windows program.

Or did you download the iso file, create a bootable CD and try to boot from
it?

If the answer is "no" or "You what???", come back again and I'll try to give
you clear instructions.  (Or someone else will.)

HTH
Lisi