Re: Lenny: which arch for a Intel Core 2 Duo?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 15:36:27 -0600
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> > Mirto Silvio Busico wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> my new notebook is an Acer AS5930G which uses an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu.
> >>
> >> I should like to install the 64 bit version of Lenny.
> >>
> >> Which is the correct arch for this processor?
> >>

> > Just for the record, the i386 works fine on that. But as others said, you
> > can also install amd64.
> >
> > raju
> >

> There is no good reason to install i386 on a Core 2.  64-bit is working
> great, except for Flash.  i386 has too many limits.

If you have 2gb or less memory and you don't use memory intensive calculations
than go with i386. Programs can use around 30% (IIRC) more memory with amd64
than with i386. You also won't see any speed benefits unless your programs do a
lot of memory intensive calculations where you will benefit from the extra
registers (mostly if you are developing mathematical software)

If you intend to use more than 2gb memory install amd64

> The correct distribution is AMD64.  EMT64 (Intel) is virtually identical
> to AMD64, and both are covered by the AMD64 distribution, and in fact,
> can both run a "generic" AMD64 kernel.

If you compile yourself you can also optimize for core2 but I don't know what
you will gain (that is only for the kernel the packages are amd64)

> ia64 is *NOT* what you want.

ia64 is itanium systems (corporate servers mostly)