Re: Lenny: which arch for a Intel Core 2 Duo?

On 01/04/09 16:07, thveillon.debian wrote:
[snip]
Hi,
Just to push in the same direction, I have 2 C2duo, both running amd64
Debian, one with a custom kernel compiled with the "c2duo - newer-xeon"
arch instead of the generic "x86-64" which is the defaut. (can't tell
the difference though...)

FlashPlayer is already available for native amd64 (not talking about the
nspluginwrapper thing) in debian-multimedia (experimental only for now,
but working better already than the aforementioned solution). Free
alternatives are available too (swfdec, gnash...) for amd64.
For java the icedtea jre and plug-in is working ok for me, and Sun
announced a linux native x86-64 build of their browser plug-in for the
next update (available as a beta already).

AMD64 is no longer limited for a desktop user, if ia32 is absolutely
required there's always a way round the problem, like static packages
(Skype...), chroot, ia32libs or even a virtual machine.

acroread still has some features that the FLOSS alternatives don't, and w32codecs is still most simply available in 32 bit mode.

But I do agree that the barriers are dropping.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.