Re: Lenny: which arch for a Intel Core 2 Duo?

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 01/04/09 15:36, Mark Allums wrote:
[snip]

There is no good reason to install i386 on a Core 2. 64-bit is working great, except for Flash. i386 has too many limits.

The correct distribution is AMD64. EMT64 (Intel) is virtually identical to AMD64, and both are covered by the AMD64 distribution, and in fact, can both run a "generic" AMD64 kernel.

I say to use i386 with an amd64 kernel. It's even possible, with some manual effort, to run the nvidia binary kernel.

Too many limits, which, under a 64-bit kernel, are now arbitrary. And why make extra work for yourself?

(Please, don't get me started about HighMem/BigMem/whatever.  Bleeagh!)

Mark Allums