Re: xdm support for UTF-8 text in Xresources

Ionel Mugurel Ciobica wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently installed lenny on a new computer and, like all other times I
> installed Debian before, I had to customise the xdm files to suit my
> needs. Nothing wrong so far.
>
> Every time I input some UTF-8 text in Xresources and change the default
> font from iso8859-1 to iso10646-1 (btw, why iso8859-1 is hardcoded in
> the Xresources file?). Still OK so far. But when I restart xdm I get
> ugly stuff instead of all non-ascii glyphs. 2 or 3 glyphs instead of one
> and some of them empty squares. It is like xmd tries to broke down the
> UTF-8 glyphs back into their 8-bits components and display them using
> the iso8859-1 font.
Hello Ionel, it seems there is no some wide problem in Debian, but in particular package
(xdm this time). Please just file a bug against it using reportbug, so xdm maintainers can
judge better what to do with this.

Ukrainian C++ developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor