Re: What version of debian should I install at this point in time?

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 05:09:36AM EST, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

[...]

> To OP: Basically you can do what you want.

:-)

.. the real problem is not the "doing" .. provided you know what you
"want", that is .. IOW, implementing is only a technical issue .. a
matter of learning new tricks, reading the fine manuals, asking the list
the right questions, experimenting .. etc.

When one is young and innocent .. with little idea of the options to
choose from, and little knowledge of oneself, figuring out what one
actually wants is considerably more difficult.

> There are tradeoffs between stability and permanent updates and only
> you can decide what you want/need.

Thanks .. "need" is the word I had in mind.

> There are a lot of distributions (almost all, except debian) which
> don't offer these different levels between 'stable' and 'unstable'.

After short bursts of experimenting I decided on the following:

1. debian Lenny - base system .. sacrificial for now..
2. ubuntu 8.10 - Windows replacement just in case.. seamless .. scary..
3. etch - full restore to the new HD of my current "production" system
4. sarge - I still need it for stuff that I never could get etch to do
5. 20GB+ of free space ..

Thanks!

CJ