Re: Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008

On Tuesday 02 December 2008, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
wrote about 'Re: Debian Project News - December 2nd, 2008':
>On Tue,02.Dec.08, 12:34:27, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> The linked mail makes reference to the "insserv" package.  Is that
>> package required to get a dependency-based boot sequence?  Is that
>> package sufficent to get a dependency-base boot sequence?
>>
>> I ask because I'd like to start testing it on both my desktop (Lenny)
>> and laptop
>> (Etch[Base]/Etch-Backports/Lenny[Mostly]/Sid/Experimental[1]).
>
>I wouldn't recommend trying it on anything earlier than Lenny, some of
>the necessary info in the initscripts may be missing. OTOH I think
>insserv will warn about this.

If I run into any such warnings, I can "just" upgrade the package to Lenny,
which is fine.  If that fails to fix the problem, I know where the BTS
receives mail.

>Additionally you might want to try using dash as /bin/sh
>(dpkg-reconfigure dash).

Actually, I've been doing that for.. a while.  I never got bit by any of
the bashism bugs.  In any case, that was something I knew I could handle
fixing is I *did* run into a bug.  I'm not as comfortable with
dependency-based init systems, but if the devs are calling it done I'm
willing to try it out.

I'm assuming the answer to both of the questions is "yes"?  (Two *useful*
replies, but no definitive answers.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))