Re: Talking with Yahoo Messenger (try Ekiga)

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 07:21:30AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 05:57:29PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
> > programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
> > when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
> > Is there some program for debian that can do this?
>
> Gaim is now called "Pidgin". It still can't handle voice chats well.
>
> kopete seems to be able to use video, but not audio, for some strange
> reason. Telepathy/Empathy does not seem to support voice chats with
> Yahoo accounts (which are only supported through pidgin's libpurple).

somewhat OT, but Ekiga may do what you want -- it can't talk
to Yahoo, but there are builds of it for Lin/Win/OSX, so if
you're communicating on a regular basis with someone, it might
be worth installing, since it does voice and video.

--Rob

--
| "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"               |