Re: Talking with Yahoo Messenger

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 05:57:29PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Hello,
> I find out that gaim is able to use text messaging with many
> programs. I want to use voice messaging (use it as phone)
> when other person is using Yahoo Messenger on MS Windows.
> Is there some program for debian that can do this?

Gaim is now called "Pidgin". It still can't handle voice chats well.

kopete seems to be able to use video, but not audio, for some strange
reason. Telepathy/Empathy does not seem to support voice chats with
Yahoo accounts (which are only supported through pidgin's libpurple).

> Friend told me that he is using Yahoo Messenger on
> dial-up connection. I only have 33k dial-up too and am
> hoping to be able to use it. How much bandwith does
> protocol for transferring voice need?

Good codecs like speex and the patented g729 would work over dialup.