Re: how to disable unused sound chip

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

8< big snip 8<

Bob,

Yes, that also worked just fine.  The only problem remaining is my
volume plugin for gkrellm does not come back up with my controls
enabled:  After every reboot, I have to reconfigure the plug in to have
volume sliders for Master, PCM, CD, etc etc.  This happens if I
blacklist it or set alsa priority to -2

Mmm I don't use that package so I don't know, there seem to be a couple of potentially relevant bug reports, have a look and potentially file a new one.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=gkrellm-volume

Do you have a spare graphics card that doesn't have an onboard sound function you can temporarily swap in to help pin down the problem?

Good luck.