Re: Remote administration of a machine behind NAT - VM for support

Am Mittwoch, 10. September 2008 20:03:08 schrieb Andrei Popescu:
> On Wed,10.Sep.08, 19:50:04, Dexter Filmore wrote:
> > I use a virtual machine for support and have my router forward ssh there.
> > Something simple with fluxbox or even no X at all, should fit a 32MB VM
> > and come up within a blink of an eye. For extra paranoia you can revert
> > to a clean snapshot after finishing the session.
> > So if the VM isn't up Joe Random Hacker can scan port 22 all day.
>
> That's a very nice idea, I had totally forgotten about the
> virtualization technologies available in Debian.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Extra paranoia: forward a different port than 22, lets say 2222(inet) to 22
(lan/vm) and conf the client script to connect to that port. reduces port 22
attacks a great deal.
Port knocking perhaps?

--

http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de