Re: NFS or Samba (windows client)

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:29:31AM +0200, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> Greetings list,
> I would prefer not to install samba just for one machine, but if I have to so
> be it (although I might have to do so in any event to share the printer).
>
> I would also like to mount these shares similar to how I do so on my Linux
> boxen, eg. c:\My Documents -> nfs://nfsserver/mydocuments (afaik this is not
> possible)
>
> The ultimate solution would be to remove windows, but this is a work in
> progress... ;)

I would install samba or httpd (like apache) or ftp server on your linux machine.

I know NFS can be accessed from Windows.... but considering it is her
PC, it is good idea not to have confusing program installed for her. All
samba, httpd, and ftpd servers can serve few "folders" to her machine
with R/W access if you configure.  That should be sufficinet.  (You may
wish to instal some SSH client so you can login to other machine without
reboot.)

Osamu