Re: how to install eclipse 3.4 on debian sid?

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Star Liu wrote:

> the eclipse package for debian sid is now 3.2, it makes the web tools
> unavailable, which needs eclipse 3.4, does anyone has a tutorial on
> how to install eclipse 3.4 on debian sid? thanks

You can download the .tar.gz (for 32, or 64 bit) from eclipse.org, and then
extract it to the location of your choice and run it from there. You can have
more than one eclipse version installed at the same time.

To run it, just run the ./eclipse from the resulting directory. (or link a
launcher to it, add it to a menu, etc).

The Debian package for 3.2 seems to install to /usr/lib/eclipse

Maybe someone has a good idea about where to put eclipse when you download it
from eclipse.org - maybe /usr/lib/eclipse-3.4/ ?

I am just running it from my home directory at present. ie.  ~/eclipse/
(probably not ideal, but it works).

HTH

--
 Jaime Tarrant