Re: vlc can't play XviD avi files

On 16 sep, 08:00, T o n g <mlist4sunt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I play whatever XviD avi files with vlc, I get:
>
>  [00000542] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc
> `XVID'.
>  VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
>
> I tried all the following 3 versions of vlc, 0.8.6.e-2.3+lenny1,
> 0.8.6.h-1, and 0.8.6.h-4, but the symptom is the same as above.
>
> $ apt-cache policy vlc
> vlc:
>   Installed: 0.8.6.h-4
>   Candidate: 0.8.6.h-4
>   Version table:
>  *** 0.8.6.h-4 0
>          50http://gulus.usherbrooke.caunstable/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      0.8.6.h-1 0
>         300http://gulus.usherbrooke.calenny/main Packages
>      0.8.6.e-2.3+lenny1 0
>         300http://security.debian.orglenny/updates/main Packages
>
> Does it happens to you as well? From the following url,http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35843
> it seems to be a build problem...
>
> Please help. Thanks.
>
> --
> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
>  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
>  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/
>
> --

I have the same problem.
I don't know for you but it is related to debianmultimedia repository.
There's a message on the home page explaining the situation. To
resolve it, you have to downgrade the paquets in order to have the
official debian versions. Then you will have to remove debian
multimedia repository from your sources.list. I don't know if there's
a better solution.