Re: mutt & backscatter clues

On Mon Sep 15, 2008 at 11:00:47 -0500, Mark Copper wrote:

> What strategies are other people using?

  A bounce message will have an empty envelope sender, so I file
 those separately via procmail.  This is the rule I use:

#
#  Bounces
#
:0:
*(Return-Path:).*(<>)
.Automated.bounces/

  I look at the bounce mailbox every few weeks.  But mostly I know
 when there is a flood of them - either I get one message meaning it
 is probably legitimate.  Or I'll receive a few thousand one day -
 meaning I've been spoofed.

  I believe it is possible to sign outgoing messages to detect legitimate
 bounces and dump bogus ones - but I've not tried that.

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/