Re: xserver, video playback, direct rendering etc.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Nicholas Syrotiuk
<syrotiuk@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions, Kelly.
>
> First I stuck with the fglrx driver and added the two options to the
> "Device" section of xorg.conf.  Unfortunately this didn't seem to make any
> difference to the video playback; i.e., it's still stuttering.
>
> Then I tried both the RadeonHD and the Radeon drivers.  The xserver starts
> in each case (as expected) but direct rendering is disabled.  Is there
> anything I can do to enable direct rendering with either of these drivers?

Looking more carefully at the wiki, it looks like Radeon doesn't do
acceleration for your card, but RadeonHD should if it is > 1.2 (which is in
Testing). AFAIK, the DRI and RenderAccel options should make it work.

When you say direct rendering is disabled, did you determine that
with "glxinfo" or what?

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers