Re: DirectFB and X.

PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Folk,
>
> Thanks for the advice about CD burning.
>
> According to the Wikipedia,
>     "The [DirectFB] library allows developers to bypass
>      the X Window System, ... ."
>
> In Lenny, can DirectFB replace the X infrastructure?

It would require all of the graphical (non console) programs you use to support
DirectFB. There are DFB backends for gtk, SDL, wxWidgets, and there was at one
point an early port of qt, but I don't know the status of that.

So you could probably get most of your day-to-day programs running without an X
server... but I don't think Lenny has packages built with DFB support, so you'd
have to build them yourself.

- Chris Burkhardt