Copy entire /usr

Hi all.
I am in a sticky situation. I run remotely a server and one of the disks
is starting to fail.
Every couple days (or more, depends on the www traffic level) scsi drive
sdc fails (with "rejecting I/O to device bla bla bla"). This a BIG
problem because my /usr resides on sdc1, and everytime it happens I have
to send somebody to kill the server and restart it.

I figured, since I do not have physical access to the server, that the
best choice would be copying the whole /usr to another drive and (hoping
there are no problems while copying) change the required stuff in fstab.

Before starting blindly cp'ing files, I would like to hear your advice
on the process and if I have any chance of succeeding (or if you have
another method that would work better)

-Raven