Re: Nvidia video driver problem

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:16:00AM -0500, Russ Cook wrote:
> I'm running an amd64, with 64bit linux (Sid), with evga 8800gts graphics
> card.
> I did apt-get update && upgrade today.
> Then I downloaded latest linux source 2.6.26.5 from kernel.org, and
> downloaded
> the latest nvidia-kernel-source using apt-get.
> I compiled a custom kernel and latest nvidia-kernel-source according to
> procedures
> outlined at http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers .  I've done
> this before successfully,
> and was running Nvidia driver before this action.
> The problem is that X will not start now with the Nvidia driver.  It
> WILL start with
> the nv open source driver.
> Looking in /usr/lib/xorg/modules, I have a symlink libwfb.so pointing to
> libnvidia-wfb.so.100.14.11, which doesn't exist in this directory, and X
> complains about
> it in the Xorg.log file, attached.  It also complains about module type1.
>
> Can anyone offer help or suggestions?

That wfb symlink shouldn't be there anymore, if you run a current driver
(173.x I think is current).  Could be a leftover from a previous driver
version.

Make sure all nvidia packages are the same version on your system.

Have you manually told X which driver you want to use?  I think it
defaults to using nv, and no longer asks during configuration what you
want to use.

--
Len Sorensen