tuxonice in lenny amd64 kernel

hi guys,

i am just about to install debian lenny on my new laptop (dell d430). i intend to put 64bit system there, and since it features only ssd disk i won't create any swap partition (the machine has 2 gb of memory so i should hopefully be able to live w/o swap). since it is a notebook, it would be nice to have suspend-to-disk working (empty battery, ...). in case the swap is really needed, i would create it on an external usb drive.

i read somewhere that only tuxonice supports suspend to file - is it necessary to extra patch the kernel in order to have tuxonice support? on my old machine, i am using suspend w/o problems, but there i use the swap for storing the image (and isn't it swsusp/uswsusp in the current etch kernels?). or is my information outdated?

another probability *might* be creating swap on an external usb drive, but i don't know how would the bootloader cope with that - maybe some initrd magic would be needed?

thank you in advance for any hints.

best,

--
Lubos _@_"