Re: Remote administration of a machine behind NAT

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I'm dense, but I still don't see the benefits compared to a ssh
> tunnel.

You have already pointed out that you can't use an ssh tunnel.

Your mother's PC is behind at least one layer of NAT, so any connection
must be instantiated from there. Start OpenVPN from your mother's PC
and that will give you a *bi*directional tunnel between her PC and your
server. You can use that bi-directional tunnel at your convenience to
start a ssh session (vnc viewer, whatever) from your end /to/ her PC.
(The OpenVPN connection makes the NAT difficulties irrelevant.)

I'm struggling to see how to explain it more simply, sorry.

Chris