Re: Way OT: OpenDNS

2008/9/10 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> On Wed,10.Sep.08, 04:26:07, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> My Internet access has been getting slower and slower and my ISP is a joke:
>>
>> $ ping google.com
>> PING google.com (64.233.167.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
>> 64 bytes from py-in-f99.google.com (64.233.167.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=243
>> time=180 ms
>
> What seems to be the problem here?

180ms? At my university I can get it down to 17ms. That's an order of
magnitude difference. Also, browsing from my ISP is _slow_ even though
the download speedometers show that I am doing the 180 kb/sec that I
pay for. Large files do download as they should, but connecting takes
a very, very long time. Just typing in google.com and waiting for it
to load can take upwards of 15 seconds.

>> Are there any known problems / gotchas with OpenDNS? I do know that
>> they redirect google queries through their own servers and return ads
>> in place of unregistered domains, but those 'features' can be turned
>> off. Anything else that I should be aware of?
>
> How do you do that?

You can sign up for an account, you are identified by your IP. There
are tools for people with nonstatic IP addresses.

>> http://what-is-what.com
>> http://gibberish.co.il
>> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>
> I've changed my terminal to rxvt-unicode and now I can see all
> characters except the second from the end which is show as an upright
> rectangle. xfce4-terminal is showing them all correctly, but bigger. I'm
> using the same default font for both (Terminus).
>
>> ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
>
> Here I see the German "Umlaute" and the "scharffes S".

Yes, that is correct. In fact, if you can configure your terminal to
get gibberish out of those two lines, I would appreciate if you send
to me the gibberish in a private email. I use it to help translate
gibberish back into legible Hebrew and German.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il