suspend/hibernate in gnome-lenny

Hello, I'm trying to make my laptop (Dell Precision M65) suspend and hibernate
in gnome.

The problem is that I can't make gnome to use s2ram/s2disk commands
automatically. I can suspend and hibernate from a terminal but I can't do it
through gnome applets or the shutdown button (when it asks you if you want to
suspend,hibernate,reboot,cancel or shutdown).

I' ve read that tweaking the scripts in /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux could do
the trick, but it doesn't work. I've changed hal-system-power-suspend-linux
to use a custom script using s2ram but it simply ignores it.

The only thing I can get is a nice popup error message.

I remember having done this before in other installations of lenny/etch and
being able to suspend/hibernate but now it is imposible. Is it that
gnome-power-manager doesn't uses hal-scripts anymore?

Any ideas?

fray diógenes

PD: excuses for my English...