Etch netinstl. problem starting kwrite, synaptic, gedit.etc

Having installed the Etch netinst. I was next looking to install KDE, and X.

I ran apt-get install kde, and a whole bunch of packages were installed,
including some X packages. After these had been installed, I also did an
apt-get install kdm, as I wasn't sure if it had been installed, and it hadn't
been.

Reboot, and no desktop. Obviously some X stuff is missing.

Now I tried apt-get install xserver, which gave some options, including
xserver-xorg-core, which is the one I went for, and at the same time
installed xfonts-75dpi, and xfonts-base. Some time later, and many more
packages installed, I rebooted.

The reboot went ok, and I was able via KDM to login to KDE.

The problem I'm having is when su'ing to root in KDE's Konsole.

When su'ed to root on KDE's Konsole neither kwrite, synaptic, or gedit will
open. Synaptic is on the K menu, and starting it there will open a window
asking for the the root password, and entering the root password I can use
synaptic as root, but trying to open synaptic as root on KDE's Konsole just
fails.

Output from trying to start gedit, kwrite, and synaptic on KDE's Konsole
below.

[djmons@localhost djmons]$ ssh 192.168.0.197
djmons@192.168.0.197's password:
Linux debian 2.6.26.2-rt1-libre1 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Sun Aug 10 13:45:05 EEST
2008 i686

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sat Aug 23 14:52:38 2008
djmons@debian:~$ su
Password:
msu: Authentication failure
Sorry.
djmons@debian:~$ su
Password:
debian:/home/djmons# synaptic
The application 'synaptic' lost its connection to the display localhost:10.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
debian:/home/djmons# kwrite
kwrite: Fatal IO error: client killed
debian:/home/djmons# gedit
The application 'gedit' lost its connection to the display localhost:10.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
debian:/home/djmons#

Any pointers as to what may be the problem here, gratefully received.

Nigel.