Re: Migrate from AMD64 to i386

Damon L. Chesser wrote, On 23-Aug-2008 5:35:
On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 21:28 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 08/22/08 18:09, Luis San Martin Rojas wrote:
2008/8/22 Joris Dobbelsteen <joris@familiedobbelsteen.nl>:
Dear all,

Is there an easy way to migrate an installation from AMD64 to i386?

AFAIK it is impossible, or at least a _nasty_ mission
Nasty if you want to do in-place migration.

But if you have a separate /home partition, and you do a lttle pre-
planning like save the list of installed packages, important config files, etc, then reinstalling a firewall shouldn't be difficult. Especially since firewalls are supposed to be minimal beasts.

i.e.  dpkg --get-selections >package_list

tar -czf etc.tar.gz /etc

install only a base install of i386

dpkg --set-selections < package_list

deslect upgrade

tar -xzf etc.tar.gz

This is all off the top of my head, use man to get the exact syntax.

Looks like what I thought should be done, but maybe there was a simpler way... I'll will try this shortly...

Thanks,

- Joris