Re: KDE Automount stopped working

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 12:34:58 -0500, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 06:41:06PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Which part of the process does not work for you anymore, getting icons
> > on the desktop for CDs and USB-sticks, or mounting and opening the media
> > when you click on the icons?
>
> Earlier, I used to get an automatic dialog, asking me what I wish to
> do, i.e. play the disc, Open in new window, do nothing etc. If I chose
> to open it, it would appear in the storage media section. However,
> now, nothing of the sort happens, and I use a terminal to manually
> mount the device.

The dialog is suppressed if a default action has been set. You can
change this in Control Center > Peripherals > Storage Media. Also
check if all three options in the "Advanced" tab are selected.

Another important condition is that the Media Manager and the Media
Notifier Daemon are running. You can see this from the KDE Components >
Service Manager tab in the Control Center. The device icons are
controlled by CC > Desktop > Behavior > Device Icons.

You said already that removing your whole ~/.kde directory did not help
to restore the previous behavior, so it is unlikely that changing any
individual setting will fix it. Seeing whether certain options are
available at all might nevertheless give us a clue which piece of the
puzzle is missing.

> Is there a way to find out which module is the cause of this error?
> HAL, DBus etc.?

Running

lshal --monitor

and then inserting a CD or a USB-stick might turn up something.

          Florian   |