Re: Connecting two computers using an ethernet cable

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 08/20/08 09:05, Rick Morneau wrote:
I have two computers that I would like to transfer files
between.  One runs Debian Etch r3 and the other runs
Fedora Core 2.  They both have ethernet boards.

Can I just connect them with an ethernet cable

Yes.  You need a "crossover cable".  Any computer store will have them.

                                               and run
some program or other to transfer data between them?

Sure.  People have been transferring files across networks for 35 years.

Obviously, I know next to nothing about ethernet and so
I'm asking for help.

Plug the cable into both computers and see if they auto-detect the network.

You will have to go into some network configuration utility so set up other parameters.

Googling I find no straightforward answers to this rather basic question.

And it's just a matter of editing /etc/network!

However... if you know *nothing* about networks, and they weren't configured when you installed Linux, I suggest sneakernet. Thumb drives are pretty big nowadays.