Re: Differences in PCI boards...

On 08/18/08 13:10, Mike Fontenot wrote:
I was surprised to find out that there are differences and
incompatabilities between some PCI cards vs some motherboards.
Specifically, several perturbations of 5v vs 3.3v vs "either one will
work".

I've been trying to decide on a parallel port PCI card, and had pretty
much settled on a Rosewill board, which had a very good customer rating
overall, and was fairly cheap.  But then I read a few comments that said
that board wouldn't work on their Dell 520 computer.  Then I noticed
that the info on that board on the Newegg webpage says "For 5v PCI slot
only".  I don't yet know what kind of PCI slots my new Dell 530 Inspiron
has.  I'm going to try to talk to both Dell and Rosewill this afternoon
about it.  Anyone have any info on this issue?

That card seems to be relatively old. This link should shed some light on the matter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_Component_Interconnect#Conventional

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA